Learn how you can receive government-funded physiotherapy services to help you recover from illness, surgery or injury. If you are a senior, you may benefit from exercise programs designed to keep you healthy, active and independent.

Step 1: Find out if the government will pay for your treatment

The information below summarizes who qualifies for government-funded physiotherapy. If you have a valid OHIP card, contact your doctor or nurse practitioner if you qualify:

  • are age 19 or younger
  • have been discharged as an inpatient of a hospital after an overnight stay and require physiotherapy for the condition, illness or injury for which you were hospitalized
  • receive income from Ontario Works or the Ontario Disability Support Program
  • are age 65 or older

If you are not listed above, the government will not cover your physiotherapy.

Step 2: Get a referral

If you need physiotherapy for medical reasons, your doctor or nurse practitioner will give you a referral. You need this referral to be eligible for physiotherapy services.

Step 3: Find a clinic offering government-funded physiotherapy services

Your contact in Step 1 will help you find a local clinic or arrange for services in your home or long-term care facility. Total Physiotherapy offers government-funded physiotherapy services.

Once you’ve found a clinic, give the physiotherapist your OHIP referral. It explains that you qualify for government-funded physiotherapy services. Your referral may only be used at one clinic.

If you are NOT ELIGIBLE to have your physiotherapy paid for through OHIP, you can visit one of our private clinics for treatment, by calling Total Physiotherapy at 705-749-1313 McDonnel St. Clinic, or 705-743-1301 Peterborough Clinic.

Learn more about exercise and falls prevention classes in your community through the Health Care Options website or by calling INFOline at 1-888-910-1999.


Source: MOHLTC website. Updated: August 24, 2016